Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election daze



Four years ago, I changed my address so I could proudly cast my vote for president. Election day was rainy. I was late for my North American literature class. My polling place was in the basement of a musty dorm. Specifics aside, I was hopeful.

Then I watched everything unfold alone in my dorm room that night. As state by state lit up with their allied "color," I turned red and then blue before going to sleep feeling kind of gray.

Four years later, I think this has been an electric election. I didn't change my address this time. Election day (so far) is sunny and 70 degrees. I don't have to be to work until 3 p.m., so I'm really only late for a shower. My polling place was my desk two weeks ago. I'm in a totally different place in my life, yet I'm still hopeful.

Here I am casting my vote last Thursday. Don't fail me now, U.S. Postal Service!!!



On a completely unrelated note, here are some electiony things I have encountered in the past few weeks.

Drag Queen with a message



Club clowns on the political prowl



As an added bonus, here is video from a rally I attended a few weeks ago. Bette Midler speaking on behalf of Barack Obama at a gay disco. Just putting a Vegas spin on politics, ya know.

No comments: