Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Blog by blogwest

I blame my blog launch delay on the time lag. Forgive me, futurrists.
Anyway, there was really no way I could have prepared myself for life here.

In short, Vegas is the same and different as anything one can be accustomed to.

The energy on The Strip is overwhelming and electric. The laissez-faire attitudes about things like marriage, divorce, gambling and prostitution baffle me, but I’m not really participating in those things so whatever. Just as outrageous as the people are and as amplified as the general perspective is, Vegas is also just a normal city. Well, the UPS guys are a little bit tanner under those sweet uniforms, I guess.

I will chronicle my escapades in future posts but I just wanted to get everyone up to speed.

My mom and I flew out on May 31, dropped my three suitcases off in my new home and bought a car same day. It’s white (white hot!) and, undoubtedly, deal breakers included gas mileage, reliability and strength in air conditioning. Windshield shade sold separately.

The sunshine is omnipresent and changeless. What we lack in rain, we make up for in dust storms and wind. In addition to high quality deodorant, I stocked up on dermatologist strength sun block. It’s pretty clear that my translucent skin begs for this attention to detail. If all goes to plan, I will hopefully dodge skin cancer and maintain my near albinism. Pale fingers crossed.

Managing the heat, on the other hand, is more complicated. We’re getting into the triple digit temperatures and stepping outside feels like a very heavy parka is placed on your shoulders. Sometimes it even makes you have to catch your breath. There is always a moment some time between walking out the front door and waiting for the air conditioning in the car to kick in that I want to turn around and go lie on the cold tile floor. If humidity were a factor, it would be over.

Every move revolves around water — bringing, seeking and then drinking lots of it. I traded five GREAT lakes for this?

No, I traded them for THIS. Breathtaking.



(Fun fact: Nevada holds the title of most mountainous state. Anywhere you are in the state, you can see a mountain around you. This could be a total lie but I buy it)

2 comments:

kimba said...

i shall keep you and your albino skin in my thoughts. may you steer clear of sun burns and sun blisters and drink your weight in water daily. (i also hope this means you sweat out all that water so you are not in the ladies room 5 times an hour.)

ciao babe.

TK said...

I SAY MAGGIE, YOU SAY NOMAH!
MAGGIE! NOMAH!
MAGGIE! NOMAH!

Welcome back, Magfried.