Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Au revoir, Apt. A6

The door closes on a major part of my college days.

Today is the last day of my two-year lease on my apartment in East Lansing. I said my tearful goodbyes in May as my impatient dad hollered from outside, but my heart still kind of aches today.

That apartment had a lot of flaws (mid-lease change in management and name, sloppy paint job, awful location, deplorable parking situation, ghastly black trim throughout) but the good times outweigh it all.

I had breakdowns and break-ups within those walls.

I had more closets than a budding shopaholic should.

I entertained many guests and made a sweet little sanctuary for myself.

I stressed about a lot of stuff there (mostly how to pay for that haven and how to sublease it when my life plans got in the way).

And when things finally went my way, I skipped through the halls and did victory spins in the living room.

I had the world's best roommate, who made our routine 'roommate dinners' some of my most cherished memories and who would play cards with me, in the dark, long after the power came back on.

And, when my summer subleaser abandoned stuff, she made the best out of the situation.



To borrow a phrase from another 90s icon, it's so hard ... to say goodbye ... to yesterday .... oooooooooooooo.

No comments: